Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Eating A Lot and Working Out A Little

Cheese. Oysters. Chocolate. Fresh-cut meats. Olives. Ugh. Yesterday I died and went to heaven at a magical, magical place called Harrods. I like shopping as much as the next girl, but I could have honestly spent the rest of my life in the various food shops within that beautiful store. It was like a museum but better because the things that you saw you could eat. Seriously beyond. Once I (somewhat) got over all the gorgeous food, Rebs, Jeff and I ascended to The Georgian Restaurant on the fourth floor.

I died all over again.

Beautifully deep pink chairs, meticulously placed settings on tables covered with white cloth, and a grand piano in the middle of it all. I nearly passed out when our Italian waiter brought out our three-tiered platter of foods that comes with Traditional Afternoon Tea. Six triangle-shaped sandwiches for each diner were placed at the bottom, followed by raisin scones in the middle and an assortment of pastries from the store’s patisserie at the top.




I ate each slowly and carefully as to not drop a crumb or bit of spread. My favorite sandwich was the lox with caper spread, but I loved the raisin scones. With the scones came a choice of orange marmalade, strawberry jelly and real (real!) clotted cream. I spread the cream and strawberry jelly on each half of the scone that I had broken into two and thought to myself, “This may possibly be the best thing I have ever eaten in my life.” At this point I was so full, I sipped my tea (Victorian Rose with a cube of brown sugar), waiting patiently for my stomach to make room for the pastries. After all, I was in no rush to get out of THE Georgian Restaurant! Just before I reached for a mini fruit tart, Rebs shouts out, “It’s Blake!” I knew that Blake, my brother, was definitely in New York, so I was a little confused when I turned around and saw a boy who seemed to be him! I ran through The Georgian Restaurant (not one of my finest moments) to catch up to this kid. Once I reached him I explained that he looked EXACTLY like my little brother. “Ne parle, ne parle,” he said. Obviously this kid is French and as I am all up in his face shouting crazy things, he has no idea what I’m saying. Thankfully the five years of French I took gave me enough knowledge to explain to him and his mom the situation… let’s forget the fact that it was very, very broken French. They both started laughing hysterically and I was able to take the picture. Phew. Back to the tea. I was able to somehow stuff the fruit tart and a profiterole into my stomach, but I simply could not make room for the pound cake or brownie. I will try them at another time if I am to be so lucky.

After our lunch we walked through the parts of the store that didn’t have to do with food. (Weird?) Although I could never afford most of the clothing that was displayed, I really did appreciate seeing brand names and designers that I had never heard of before. I especially liked seeing a picture of Victoria Beckham posing in front of her VB jeans that I was looking at in person! We eventually made our way out of the store, and walked over to ZARA where I got an awesome blue linen blazer for 10 pounds. Woo! After walking around the area a bit more, we hopped on a double-decker bus to Oxford Street. We had finally made it to the store we had heard and seen so much about over the past few days. Primark. If you go to or are in London you must, must, must go to this store. Think H&M but more trendy and at drastically low prices. I got a sick dress, bag, gloves, tee shirt and belt for 23 pounds. Amazing!! At this point (almost 9p.m.) we were tired and hungry so we got back on the bus with our new fashionable finds in tow. We went to Marks and Spencer to pick up beef, pork and crimini stuffed tortellini and a pre-made salad and dressing. Back at the room we prepped the dinner and feasted. I ate my leftover raisin scone for dessert. Yum.

Today was pretty relaxed. Jeff and I headed over to the gym in the early afternoon so that he could check it out and I could workout (if you’ve been reading this blog you KNOW I needed to burn some serious calories). We walked around the area where the gym is a bit as that will be our new hometown as of tomorrow! Marks and Spencer was the obvious choice to pick up lunch (a salad for me, a sandwich for Jeff) and we went back to the room to meet back up with Rebs and eat. We took showers, watched some TV and before we knew it, it was time for dinner. Yes! We went to this Asian restaurant called Cha Cha Moon near the hotel that we had been eyeing for a few days. It was a great choice as the food was delicious and inexpensive. The waiters had some aversion to getting us tap water but they graciously brought us our Wen Wen cocktails. I ordered wide noodles with shrimp, scallops and peppers. Yum. The walls of the restaurant were coated with long pieces of bamboo that had to be sprayed with steam that came down from the ceiling. Pretty cool. Now we’re back at the room packing up for the big move tomorrow! Our dorm is about a ten-minute drive from where our hotel is but we’ve all got a lot of luggage so we’re just trying to get everything together. Lets hope our new room can fit all of my boots!

1 comment: